Press enter to see results or esc to cancel.

Characteristic Temple Architecture of the Kakatiyas

The Ganapeshwara temple complex is located on the north east corner of Ghanpur village. There are a total of nearly 22 temples which were constructed here within a stone enclosure. The main temple i.e. Ganapeswaralayam here is dedicated to Lord Siva, which faces east.

The 60 pillared natya mandapa to the southern side of the main temple is believed to be main entrance to the complex and shows the magnificent architectural style of Kakatiya rulers, who have created an indelible impact in Telangana with their patronage for temples and monuments that remain strong to this day.

The 60 pillared natya mandapa to the southern side of the main temple is believed to be main entrance to the complex and shows the magnificent architectural style of Kakatiya rulers, who have created an indelible impact in Telangana with their patronage for temples and monuments that remain strong to this day.

There are 19 subsidiary shrines in rows all around the main temple, and there is another Siva temple, to the north of the main temple. All these structures are built in red sand stone. Later a mud fortification was raised all around the entire temple complex probably to protect them and hence, they are locally termed as “Kota gullu”.

The inscriptions inscribed on the wall of Mukhamandapa of Ganapeswaralayam refers to the visit of Vibhutigaura, the resident of Srigiri, the house hold servant of Panditharadhya and a native of Machirajupalli near Orugallu.

The other inscription slab here refers to Ganapathi reddy, who is believed to have installed Lord Ganapeshwara and donated lands during the reign of the king Ganapathi Deva (1199-1262 A.D.) in the cyclic year of “Jaya Nama Samvatsara, Vaisakha Sudha Trayodasi, Bruhaspati Vasaram”, which corresponds to 1234-35 A.D. From the epigraphical evidences, it is considered that the temple was built during the first half of 13th Century A.D.

The temple complex attracts visitors all-round the year and represents the pride of Kakatiya heritage in Telangana state. Ghanapuram village is located nearly 50 km from the city of Warangal and is well accessible by road.

Comments

Comments are disabled for this post