Warangal district in Telangana is well known for being an epicentre of many historic developments, dynasties, forts and monuments which depict the glorious history of this region. One such place is Fort Zaffargadh in Warangal district. The original name of Zaffargadh was Velpugonda. According to a Rashtrakuta inscription carved on the rock wall of the tank of the Lakshminarasimha Swamy hillock (Peddagutta) here, Sankaraganda of Rashtrakuta line of chiefs is said to have constructed the tank on the hillock.
On the backside of the hillock a Trikuta Temple, Garuda pillar and a Vishnu temple of Kakatiya period and a mosque are located. The area was occupied by Muslim rulers in the medieval times after the fall of Kakatiyas of Warangal in 1323 AD.
Zaffruddoula, a Subedar of Golconda Nawabs (1760 AD) was the ruler of this area. The village of Zaffargadh is situated in the valley between the hills on eastern and western sides.
The hills are known as Chinnagutta and Peddagutta. The self manifested Lakshminarasimha Swamy Temple is on Peddagutta. The village and the hills are surrounded by an earthen rampart 5 km in circumference.
Around the rampart there is a deep moat. Three darwazas (inlets) were constructed to regularise the incoming and outgoing traffic. They are the Khammam darwaza, Patnam darwaza and Hanamkonda darwaza. The doors of the darwazas are 10 feet wide and 20 feet in height. The bastions and gates are fitted with huge iron cannons.
How to Reach
Zaffargadh village is located nearly 50 km from the district headquarters of Warangal and is well accessible by road.